The objective of this contest is to encourage and promote innovation in the development of games for the open web, through the creation of games which run in Firefox and other modern Web browsers without plug-ins.
The sponsor of this Contest is Mozilla Foundation, located at 650 Castro Street, Suite 300, Mountain View, CA 94041, USA (“Sponsor”).
No purchase or fee is necessary to enter or claim any prize. The Contest is open to individuals who are at least the age of majority in their country of residence. Minors 13 years or older who reside in the U.S. are also eligible to participate in the Contest but will be required to submit a signed parental consent form with their Entry. Email us at email@example.com for a parental consent form.
The Contest is void in Cuba, Iran, Province of Quebec (Canada), North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and where prohibited by law or restricted by law or regulations. Employees of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, advertising agencies, and the families and persons living in the same household as such employees, are not eligible to participate.
By entering you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of the Sponsor and judges, which are final and binding. The Contest is subject to all applicable laws.
How to Enter:
To enter the Contest, visit gameon.mozilla.org (the "Entry Page") and use the tools and instructions provided on the Entry Page to submit all requested information and materials, including a short description, a screenshot, and a URL where your game can be located and played online (“Entry”). Also select the category in which you are submitting your Entry. All Entry materials must be in the English language.
You may submit as many Entries as you want, each for a different game.
If you are a group of individuals submitting an Entry, the group must pick one individual who will submit the group’s Entry and be the sole recipient of any prizes for the group (in other words there is only one prize per winning Entry, not a prize for each member of the group). The names of all the individuals in the group should be noted in the description for proper attribution.
You must be the named and authorized account holder of the email address submitted in connection with your Entry. The authorized account holder is the natural person who is assigned to the email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization that is responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Entries submitted will not be returned or acknowledged.
Without limiting any other rights, the Sponsor has the right to, in the Sponsor's sole discretion, reject or remove from the Contest any Entry that, in the Sponsor's sole discretion, violates these Rules, any applicable Sponsor policy, any applicable laws, or is in any way harmful or objectionable. Sponsor also reserves the right to disqualify any entrant or Entry at the Sponsor's sole discretion. No correspondence shall be entered into.
By entering you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of the Sponsor and judges, which are final and binding. The Contest is subject to all applicable laws.
The Contest begins at 00:01 Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) on December 10, 2012 and ends at 23:59 GMT on February 24, 2013 (the “Contest Period”). It is immediately followed by the Judging Period, which runs through the 28th of February, 2013. The winners will be announced on or about the 4th of March 2013.
All Entries must meet specific criteria to be accepted into the Contest. Without limitation, the following conditions apply:
- Entry must be compatible with and function properly in the then-current final product version of Firefox and other modern web browsers without plug-ins;
- the full source code, including that of any binary components, must be made available to Sponsor (upon request, only for purposes of review)
- the description of the Entry included in your submission must be clear and accurate;
- The Entry must be your original work and may not include any unauthorized intellectual property of a third party;
- The name of your Entry may not include any Mozilla trademarks or portions thereof;
- No browser plug-ins are allowed;
- Libraries and modules that are freely available to the public are allowed, but materials or code you must pay for are not.
The Entry must further comply with any additional technical requirements set forth on the Contest web site and Entry Page. Sponsor reserves the right to modify any technical requirements during the course of the Contest in its reasonable discretion, by posting updated instructions on the Contest web site.
Any game entered in this Contest shall remain the exclusive property of the entrant. The code you write is yours. If you intend to share it after the Contest, you can pick whatever available license option you prefer on the site. We encourage contestants to open source their code, but the decision whether to do so is up to the entrants.
Determination of Winners
After the Contest Period has ended, all Entries will be reviewed for compliance with the Contest citeria, and then qualifying Entries will be judged by a panel of qualified judges made up of industry experts and young judges from the Hive Learning Network (the "Judges"), who will select the winners. There will be one winner and one runner up in each of the three categories listed below, and the category winner with the highest overall score will be the Grand Prize winner. The categories from which winners will be selected are: Hackable, Learning, and Multi-Device. Entrants select the category in which they want their Entry judged at the time of submission. Within each category, Entries will be judged on the following equally weighted criteria:
- Fun — do we enjoy playing this game?
- Technological achievement – how well does this game demonstrate technical mastery in open web technologies?
- Aesthetics – how good is the visual design and interaction experience?
- Originality – have we seen this before? How does the game take advantage of the web?
Each Entry will be judged by at least three Judges. Judges will not be allowed to review or rank entries from people they know personally. The Judges will give each Entry a score of 1 to 5 for each of the criteria, and the scores of all the Judges that review a particular Entry will be averaged to arrive at the final score for that Entry. The Entry with the highest score in each category will be the category winner. The Entry with the next highest score in the category will be the runner up. The Entry with the highest score overall will be the Grand Prize winner. In the event of a tie, a subset of Judges will review the tied Entries and choose the winner. The decisions of the Judges are final on all matters relating to the Contest and no correspondence will be entered into. The winners will be announced on or about the 4th of March 2013.
One (1) Grand Prize is available for the winner of the best Overall Entry: A trip for two (2) persons to the 2013 GDC Conference in San Francisco, scheduled for March 25 - 29, 2013. Prize consists of roundtrip coach air travel between major airport nearest winner’s home and San Francisco, two (2) all access conference passes, and seven (7) nights double-occupancy hotel accommodations. Winner and guest must travel on same itinerary on dates specified by Sponsor. Major credit card will be required upon hotel checkin to cover any incidental expense. Winner and guest are responsible for possessing all necessary passports or other travel documents. Failure to be available or able to travel on designated dates may result in forfeit of prize and, if time permits, selection of an alternate winner. Travel companion must be at least 21 years of age and must sign a liability release before travel. Any person taking trip who is a minor must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Estimated retail value of the prize is $10,000. Actual value will vary depending on departure city. If winner resides in the San Francisco area, ground transportation will be substituted for air. Any difference between actual and stated value will not be awarded. All travel and accommodations are subject to availability and Sponsor discretion. No responsibility is assumed for any postponement or cancellation of the Conference; in such circumstances the remainder of the trip package will be awarded as the complete prize.If a group created the winning Entry, the Grand Prize will be awarded to the individual who submitted the Entry. Only one prize will be awarded for the winning entry.
The grand prize also includes the opportunity to have the winning game reviewed by Chillingo for possible publication on that site and by the Firefox Marketplace team who might feature it in the Firefox Marketplace. An internal review committee at each company will review the winning game and determine, at the committee's sole discretion, whether to publish or feature it. Winning the grand prize does not guarantee that the game will be published by Chillingo or featured in Firefox Marketplace. In order for the game to be eligible to be published by Chillingo, the winning game must be a great title with consumer appeal and have the potential for commercial success. If Chillingo believes the winning title meets the criteria, Chillingo can decide whether or not to publish the game to HTML5 app stores and may also collaborate with the developer to port it to other platforms. The game must also be the sole creation of the developer, where Chillingo owns and the developer must be able to grant an exclusive license to Chillingo. Chillingo will require developers to sign a publishing agreement before it publishes the game. Chillingo reserves the right to determine whether or not to publish the one winning title from the Mozilla Game On competition. In order for the winning game to be in the Firefox Marketplace the game must meet the following criteria, and must comply with the Firefox Marketplace rules and policies which can be found at: https://marketplace.firefox.com/developers/docs/policies/agreement and https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Apps/Marketplace_review_criteria.
Additional non-cash prizes will be available for the winner of each of the special judging categories. Exact categories and prizes will be posted on gameon.mozilla.org. These additional prizes will be in the nature of t-shirts, gadgets, association memberships, media subscriptions, graphics boards and devices with values ranging generally from US$10 - US$300.
General Prize Conditions
Winners are solely responsible for the payment of any taxes that may arise as a result of acceptance of a prize, and all other expenses or costs relating to a prize not expressly set forth above. Prizes cannot be transferred or substituted and must be accepted as awarded. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in its sole discretion if an advertised prize becomes unavailable. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of prizes other than the Grand Prize, and 2 weeks for delivery of items related to the Grand Prize. No more than one prize will be awarded to any entrant or team. Please note that if the winner is a group of individuals, then the prize will go to the individual who submitted the winning Entry. A prize will not be given to each member of the group.
The winners will be notified by mail, phone, or email on or about March 3rd, 2013. Each potential winner (and any team members) may be required to sign and return to Sponsor an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release, where lawful, within 10 days of the date of winning notification; otherwise the prize will be forfeited, and the entrant having the next highest score will be deemed to be the winner. If a winner is a group as opposed to one (1) individual, each member of the group listed on the Entry Page must sign and return to Sponsor an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within the timeframe stated above or the prize will be forfeited and an alternative winner will be notified. If any winner is a minor under the laws of his/her place of residence, all documents must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. If a winner cannot be notified within 5 days after his or her selection, or in the event of non-compliance with any of these requirements, the prize will be forfeited, and the entrant having the next highest score will be deemed the winner.
Authorization to Use Winner’s Entry Information & Name:
By entering, you agree that Sponsor and its designees may use your name, screen shot and basic information about your Entry in any media now known or hereafter developed for promotional and/or publicity purposes, unless prohibited by law. Each winner also agrees to participate in and cooperate with any promotional activity and/or publicity relating to the Contest as the Sponsor shall reasonably request from time to time.
Release of Liability:
By participating, you release the Sponsor and its subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, employees, directors, agents, advertising agencies, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, from and against any and all injury, loss or damage caused or claimed to be caused by your participation in the Contest and/or the acceptance, awarding, receipt, use and/or misuse of the prize, and you agree that these entities are in no way responsible for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to the Contest and/or the awarding of any prize except as may be expressly set forth in these Official Rules.
You also agree to hold harmless Sponsor, its officers, directors, employees, divisions, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotional agencies, from any claim by any third party relating to any rights in the Entry you submitted.
Representations and Warranties:
By entering, you (meaning each member of a group if a group is submitting the Entry) warrant and represent that:
- you are the sole and exclusive owner of (and free of any adverse claim by any person, firm, or corporation) all intellectual property rights in and to the Entry (exclusive of Mozilla’s intellectual property rights);
- the Entry is original and the use of the Entry as described in these Rules will not infringe the proprietary rights, including without limitation the intellectual property rights, of any third party;
- the use of the Entry, as described in these Rules, will be in compliance with any third-party licenses pertaining to the Entry;
- the Entry is not obscene or libelous, or does not violate any rights of any third party, including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity;
- the Entry does not target anyone because of his or her membership in a certain social group, including race, gender, color, religion, belief, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender identity, or political affiliation, and does not contain a symbolic representation of any group that targets anyone because of his or her membership in a certain social group;
- you have accurately categorized and described the type and nature of the Entry on the Entry Page;
- the Entry does not contain any virus, spyware, malware, trap door, worm, or any other device, mechanism or code that is injurious or damaging to software or hardware used in conjunction with the Entry;
- the Entry and its use as described in these Rules will not violate any federal, provincial, state or local laws or ordinances;
- no employer or educational or other establishment has any rights in the Entry;
- the Entry is consistent with these Rules;
- you have the right to grant to Sponsor and its designees the license granted below.
By entering you agree to be bound by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements and all decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
The names Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, Bugzilla and XUL, as well as the Mozilla logo, Firefox logo, Thunderbird logo and the red lizard logo are all registered trademarks of the Mozilla Foundation in the U.S. and several other countries. Any use of those or any other Sponsor (or Mozilla Foundation) trademark, trade name or logo must comply with the Mozilla Trademark Policies as posted at http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/.
Sponsor is not responsible for:
- lost, late, misdirected, damaged, garbled or illegible entries;
- error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate transmission of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or any combination thereof
- any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in the Contest.
Sponsor reserves the right to:
- permanently disqualify from any Contest it sponsors any person it believes has intentionally violated these official rules;
- suspend, modify or terminate the Contest if Sponsor believes, in its sole discretion, that malfunction, error, disruption or damage is impairing or will impair the administration, security, fairness, or integrity of the Contest.
If the Contest is terminated before the scheduled end of the Contest Period, the Sponsor will determine winners from all eligible entries received as of the termination date in a fair and equitable manner as determined by Sponsor in its reasonable discretion. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest, or whom the Sponsor believes to be causing or attempting or intending to cause any malfunction, error, disruption, or damage will be disqualified. The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any unauthorized entries or votes, including, without limitation, any entries or votes made through robotic, automatic, mechanical, programmed or similar multiple-entry, or entry/vote duplication, method and to disqualify any person or entity using such a method or who induces or encourages such activity.
These Official Rules and any disputes relating in any way to the Contest shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the State of California, USA, without regarding to principles of conflicts of laws. By participating, you further agree that:
- any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action;
- any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorney’s fees;
- under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
For the names of the winners and/or the judges send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to "GAME ON 2012 Winner List", attn: Mozilla Contests, 650 Castro Street, Suite 300, Mountain View, CA 94041. Requests must be received (not just postmarked) by six months from the close of the competition.